Project Schedule Development PM02.30
Click here to download this overview as a pdf.
Constructing a viable project schedule after defining the project work requires the right mix of “science” and “art”. Typically a project manager doesn’t have a similar schedule from a prior project to rely on and must build the schedule from scratch. This class introduces proven processes and techniques for the “science” of building a schedule and creating realistic estimates. Additional topics include recognizing schedule management issues and applying sound judgment to address the “art” of effective project management. By the end of this class students should be able to create viable schedules for their projects and effectively manage them.
- Some basic experience estimating cost, effort and duration of work
At the end of this class, participants will be able to:
- Understand the purpose of a project schedule and estimating work
- Build a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) and Network Diagram.
- Estimate the work, duration and cost associated with the schedule.
- Create a final schedule that can be used as the basis for managing the project.
- Perform the proper preparation to create a valid estimate
- Utilize a number of different estimating techniques (e.g. analogy, expert opinion)
- Determine the level of accuracy required and estimate at that level
- Prepare viable estimates in terms of effort, duration and cost
Who Should Attend
- Senior staff members
- Project managers and team members that need to estimate work
- Managers that need to validate work estimates
- Clients, customers and all stakeholders that help prepare and validate estimates
- The basics of schedules and estimates and alternatives for creating them
- Creating a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
- Converting the WBS to a Network Diagrams
- Preparing for the estimate and applying techniques for effort, duration and cost
- Adding resources to the schedule
- Finalizing the schedule
- Managing the schedule
There are numerous exercises to practice the concepts learned in the class.
- One day (8 Total PDUs – 8 Technical / 0 Leadership / 0 Strategic)
- Two days (16 Total PDUs – 14 Technical / 2 Leadership / 0 Strategic)
Product info: project management, portfolio management, project office, PMO, risk management, project lifecycle management, project consulting, methodology development, quality management, project management training, PMP Exam Prep
Virtual classes (VCT)!
Almost all of our classes are available as virtual classes. These are live classes, taught by experienced instructors, delivered over the web.
Pricing and more information
Email us email@example.com or
Call us at 877.536.8434 or
Submit the form below