PMO Scorecard – Measuring the Value of Your PMO
We often state that a PMO must provide value to the organization or else it is likely to be cut or eliminated. Many PMOs struggle trying to show this value. This is generally for two reasons.
- First, many PMOs simply don’t provide much value. Therefore it is hard to justify the work that the PMO performs.
- The second reason, and probably more common, is that the PMO is providing value, but it has a hard time articulating and measuring the value provided.
If you fit this second category (providing value but don’t know how to measure) this session will help. We will work with you to create a holistic Scorecard to identify and measure the success of the PMO.
There are two key elements to the session. We will work with you to define what success looks like. This may be easy for some PMOs that have goals and objectives. For others it may be quite difficult. We can help you define a coherent set of success criteria.
We will then facilitate a discussion where we identify how to measure the success criteria. This is part logic and part creativity. From there we can complete the rest of the elements of the scorecard in a straightforward process.
The activities described below are typically completed in a two-day facilitated session. When we are done with the session we will have all the information needed for the PMO Scorecard.
In this session, we will proceed through a simple ten-part model for creating a PMO Scorecard.
- Validate the current organizational goals and strategies
- Create PMO goals and strategies (optional)
- Determine what it means to be successful in this year
- Assign potential metrics for each success criteria
- Prioritize/select a candidate list of metrics
- Validate you have a holistic, balanced set of metrics
- Set targets for each metric
- Add details for collecting the metrics
- Add details for reporting and analyzing the metrics
- Determine the meaning of the scorecard results
A Project Management Office can add significant value to your projects and to your entire organization. You should understand what success looks like and how to measure it. We can get you there with a PMO Scorecard.
We’ve done it before and we can help you get there. Make sure you don’t miss an important step in the journey.